You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE (1st Gen) support with Apple Watch SE ending

When the iPhone SE 1st gen loses software updates, is it still going to be compatible with the Apple Watch SE?

I'm afraid that my Apple Watch SE will keep updating and lose compatibility with my iPhone se 1st gen. Does anyone know if that was the case when iphone 5s lost software updates?

Thanks,

Will

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 8:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 9:09 AM

The Apple Watch will Not offer an update, if the paired iPhone cannot also be updated.

There are iPhone 6 users on iOS 12 are ONLY offered minimum Apple Watch security updates, and I think Corvid-19 tracking which still allowed the Apple Watch to stay paired to the iPhone 6.

As long as you do not do something reckless, like pair your Apple Watch to a newer iPhone, upgrade, then try to take it back to an iPhone that does not support the latest iOS, you will be fine. NOTE: We from time to time see posts from people that just did that and effectively either lost the use of their Apple Watch, or were forced to by a new iPhone. As long as you do not try to "Game the System", you will be fine.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 15, 2021 9:09 AM in response to uncivilized-hipster

The Apple Watch will Not offer an update, if the paired iPhone cannot also be updated.

There are iPhone 6 users on iOS 12 are ONLY offered minimum Apple Watch security updates, and I think Corvid-19 tracking which still allowed the Apple Watch to stay paired to the iPhone 6.

As long as you do not do something reckless, like pair your Apple Watch to a newer iPhone, upgrade, then try to take it back to an iPhone that does not support the latest iOS, you will be fine. NOTE: We from time to time see posts from people that just did that and effectively either lost the use of their Apple Watch, or were forced to by a new iPhone. As long as you do not try to "Game the System", you will be fine.

iPhone SE (1st Gen) support with Apple Watch SE ending

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.