You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M1 MacBook Pro will not save display settings

I have a new M1 MacBook Pro and a Samsung 4K display. about half the time I use it and wake it from sleep, it resets my display settings to the lowest possible quality resolution causing me to have to go back into the settings. I normally only use the Samsung display but if I use both the display and the MacBook display, the laptop screen will default to a very low resolution.

I have it all connected through a DisplayPort cable and hub. I had a 2017 MacBook Pro before this and never ran into this issue.

Everywhere I look up seems to show resetting PRAM but there isn't a way to do this. I also have it updated to the latest version of Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:55 AM

Is there a solution to the issue of screen setting changes not be retained? I just switched to a new MacBook Pro M1 and experience the issue everyday, sometimes multiple times per day.

Apple needs to fix this ASAP.

5 replies

Feb 18, 2021 2:05 PM in response to jordyluc

Hello jordyluc,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We understand when you use your M1 MacBook Pro with the Samsung 4k display, it changes the display setting to low resolution when waking from sleep. We're happy to assist you with this.

Let's start by following the section in this article that states "If the image on an external display connected to your Mac is blank or doesn't look the way you expect":

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

Best Regards.

Feb 18, 2021 3:31 PM in response to MoonJ.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have tried all of this, and it's still happening. I wake it from sleep and the laptop does not detect the display. I've had to unplug and re-plug the display to get it to be detected.

What makes it even worse is it's intermittent. It seems to be happening more frequently though.

I use a DisplayPort cable into a CalDigit TS3+ and then single thunderbolt 3 cable into the computer. I have had this set up for a few days now and before I had a DisplayPort to USB C and still experienced these issues.

Mar 13, 2021 11:45 AM in response to jordyluc

Did you ever find a solution?

I just switched from an iMac and older MacBook Pro to the M1 and this issue is driving me a bit crazy. It will not only forget the resolution of both my external display and my laptop, but also the arrangement moving my laptop screen to the wrong side of my external display randomly.

I've been looking for solutions and haven't found any.

Thanks,

New M1 MacBook Pro will not save display settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.