You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long could this version of MacBook Pro be in use

How does the community help members

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 12:24 AM

4 replies

Feb 19, 2021 5:31 PM in response to DORSAM1974

It will currently run the latest operating system Big Sur

We do not know when Apple will want some minimum hardware that excludes your Mac. A Mac tends to still install the latest macOS release for anywhere between 7 to 10 years. There are exceptions, especially for less expensive lower capacity models.

Once the Mac can no longer run the latest macOS release, Apple will support the prior 2 releases with security updates, so you are still supported for an additional 2 years on the last version you could install.

After that, you just have to be careful about what you install, and maybe find a web browser that still runs on your macOS release, but the browser still releases new secure versions.

I have a 2007 Mac mini that still runs an old Snow Leopard 10.6 release doing backup services for me within my home network (that is to say, it is not surf'in the web, and making connections outside my home).

I have another 2011 Macbook pro also doing backup services running El Capitan 10.11 (also not going out on the internet).

My current personal Mac is a 2016, which is still going strong, but when I decide to replace it, one of those older boxes mentioned above may be retired and this Mac put in their place.

How long could this version of MacBook Pro be in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.