You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware through Messages

Hi,

Is it possible to revive malware through text messages on the iPhone? I received a link to n article and a little later a video from a friend I message maybe a couple of times a year. I regretfully clicked the link and read it. Seemed legitimate enough. Then I started watching the video for 10 seconds when I realized how unusual it seemed. Now I worry I may have invited malware of a sort into my iPhone. So again, is this possible through text message and if so, is there any recommended corrective action if I’m not immediately seeing any abnormal activity on my phone?

Thank you!

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 7:35 PM

2 replies

Feb 17, 2021 8:00 PM in response to Laurabond007

Laurabond007 Said:

"Malware through Messages: Hi, Is it possible to revive malware through text messages on the iPhone? I received a link to n article and a little later a video from a friend I message maybe a couple of times a year.[...] So again, is this possible through text message and if so, is there any recommended corrective action if I’m not immediately seeing any abnormal activity on my phone?"

-------

Where to Go From Here:

Unless Jailbroken, you're not going to get malware just from an SMS message itself. But, by interacting with the link, you may install/download something of high-suspicion. As for keeping it secure, restore it from a backup, and use some software on your iPhone.

In Depth:

• Restore from a Backup:

Do you have a backup of your iPhone, prior to all of this? If so,  restore your iPhone from it. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always backup your iPhone. That way, you'll have something to restore your iPhone from, should anything go wrong at any moment in time..

• Software for Use (iPhone Only):

I would consider using McAfee Mobile Security. Go here on your iPhone. McAfee Mobile Securit‪y - App Store. Important: Be certain to Security Software off of your Mac.

Malware through Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.