You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2014 iMac Retina 5K freezes intermittently

My iMac has been freezing intermittently, suddenly stopping everything for a few seconds. I have tried doing first aid on the HD but that process stalls very soon and I have no information from it. It has a capacity of 16 GB memory but only half that much installed. I wonder if I should get the rest of the memory installed -- or is there something else I should be looking at? late 2014, running Mojave 10.14.6

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 6:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 8:35 AM

Well I hate to say it but your system is a mess. The best advice I can offer is to do an erase (totally wipe the system clean) and then reinstall Mac OS and then manually install your apps and restore the data files from your backup.

I would also recommend installing a minimum of 16GB of RAM (buy from crucial.com or macsales.com) and install that.

Finally, it shows you likely have downloaded adware so I'd recommend once you have the system back up and running to download malwarebytes and run it periodically to remove any adware you may install.

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 19, 2021 8:35 AM in response to sdaniel5

Well I hate to say it but your system is a mess. The best advice I can offer is to do an erase (totally wipe the system clean) and then reinstall Mac OS and then manually install your apps and restore the data files from your backup.

I would also recommend installing a minimum of 16GB of RAM (buy from crucial.com or macsales.com) and install that.

Finally, it shows you likely have downloaded adware so I'd recommend once you have the system back up and running to download malwarebytes and run it periodically to remove any adware you may install.

Feb 19, 2021 7:44 AM in response to sdaniel5

You can save you and us a lot of time and effort if you do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Feb 19, 2021 11:21 AM in response to Jack-19

One other question, the report suggested I might think of replacing the computer. If I should decide to do that, how do I migrate what I want to the new one without dragging along any of the junk? (Before covid I would have been able to take the old one to my dealer and let them do all that, however, with a lockdown ...)

Feb 24, 2021 3:59 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks again for the link to EtreCheckPro. When I went deeply into the report and followed their suggestions, everything went well. There was actually not much flagged as possible adware. I deleted files that seemed superfluous or possibly troublesome. It said the disk is running too slowly and may fail at some time in the future. So I have prepared for the day when I decide to replace it. However, since I cleaned it up I have had only one short instance of beachballing, so everything is working well. That would not have happened without EtreCheckPro, so I thank you again.

Feb 24, 2021 4:00 AM in response to Jack-19

As it happens, all's well now. When I went deeply into the EtreCheckPro report and followed their suggestions, everything went well. There was actually not much flagged as possible adware. I deleted files that seemed superfluous or possibly troublesome. It said the disk is running too slowly and may fail at some time in the future. So I have prepared for the day when I decide to replace it. However, since I cleaned it up I have had only one short instance of beachballing, so everything is working well.

Thanks, Jack, for your tips and reassurance.

Late 2014 iMac Retina 5K freezes intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.