You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Migration

My old imac has a 3TB hard drive but I am using less than 1TB -- can I successfully transfer my data to a new iMac with a 1TB drive?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 10:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 3:41 PM

I would say yes, but first keep in mind that your Mac has a newer, different operating system which may be larger that the old computer's is. I suggest you first confirm how much space is in your new computer's hard drive by opening the Disk Utility app, then you can select the Container disk icon. You can then see precisely how much space is being used by the Macintosh HD (your Mac's operating system), the Macintosh HD - Data (where your installed apps, preferences, etc. are stored) and Free space. You can also repeat this function on the old computer to determine how much data is there.

When you transfer your data, use Migration Assistant. It is designed to do this. It will only transfer what options you select. Your old OS will not be transferred. You need to first begin the process of setting up the new computer and then when instructed to do so, connect the two computers with a USB cable and begin the transfer. You can transfer all of your preferences and settings. You may transfer all of your files or none. You may not individually select them. You can transfer your apps or reinstall them. It should go smoothly without any problems if you have confirmed the available space you have. Enjoy your new computer.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2021 3:41 PM in response to utahartmarket

I would say yes, but first keep in mind that your Mac has a newer, different operating system which may be larger that the old computer's is. I suggest you first confirm how much space is in your new computer's hard drive by opening the Disk Utility app, then you can select the Container disk icon. You can then see precisely how much space is being used by the Macintosh HD (your Mac's operating system), the Macintosh HD - Data (where your installed apps, preferences, etc. are stored) and Free space. You can also repeat this function on the old computer to determine how much data is there.

When you transfer your data, use Migration Assistant. It is designed to do this. It will only transfer what options you select. Your old OS will not be transferred. You need to first begin the process of setting up the new computer and then when instructed to do so, connect the two computers with a USB cable and begin the transfer. You can transfer all of your preferences and settings. You may transfer all of your files or none. You may not individually select them. You can transfer your apps or reinstall them. It should go smoothly without any problems if you have confirmed the available space you have. Enjoy your new computer.

Data Migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.