You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic since upgrading to Big Sur 11.2.1

Hi, Hopefully someone smarter than me can figure this out.

I updated to Big Sur 11.2.1 last week. Prior to this, had zero problems or issues with the computer.

Ever since, I get kernel panics and uncommanded computer restart with the following in the error report.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 5:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 5:45 AM

CoreyTN wrote:

I updated to Big Sur 11.2.1 last week. Prior to this, had zero problems or issues with the computer.

Ever since, I get kernel panics and uncommanded computer restart with the following in the error report.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

<kernel panic error report.log>

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions..

Try unplugging USB peripheral and test or update drivers associated with USB devices to be compatible with Big Sur

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2021 5:45 AM in response to CoreyTN

CoreyTN wrote:

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

<kernel panic error report.log>

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions..

Try unplugging USB peripheral and test or update drivers associated with USB devices to be compatible with Big Sur

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Feb 22, 2021 5:53 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have a couple of network drives attached to the network but not directly to the laptop. They connect thru the AirPort Extreme via ethernet. One is just a Ethernet connected drive and the other is a Netgear ReadyNAS with dual RAID drives with AFP. I have two Time Machine backups going, one to the AirPort Extreme and the other to the ReadyNAS for dual backup that has worked flawlessly for a couple years.

Those drives don't show in the disk utility.

Feb 24, 2021 2:56 PM in response to CoreyTN

Update: I noticed in the kernel panic error report log that a process "backupd" was consistent in all of them. Digging, I figured out this pointed to something with the Time Machine backup process. I run two Time Machine backups, one to the AirPort Extreme Time Capsule, and the other to a NAS running RAID backups. I disabled one at a time and it appeared that the problem was the Time Machine backup to the NAS. I forced a new backup to the AirPort Extreme, then disabled and removed the NAS backup, set it up again and forced a new backup to the NAS and all is well.

48h with no restarts or kernel panics. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help.

Kernel Panic since upgrading to Big Sur 11.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.