You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive

Can I download files (photos) from my iPad onto an external hard drive and connect the same drive to a Windows PC to upload the files there?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 7:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 2:13 AM

Your HDD must only have a single data partition - and be formatted as FAT32 or exFAT.

Multiple data partitions and Microsoft proprietary formats (such as NTFS) are not support by iPadOS. Apple APFS and HFS+ formats are supported by your iPad, but not by your PC.

You must also ensure that the HDD has an adequate source of power other than the iPad. If the HDD does not have an integral power supply, you must use a powered USB hub. The iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to high-power USB devices such as HDD drives.

With the HDD correctly partitioned and formatted, you’ll be able to export Photos from your Camera Roll to external storage - and/or copy files using the native Files App or other third-part File Manager Apps.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2021 2:13 AM in response to fuad54

Your HDD must only have a single data partition - and be formatted as FAT32 or exFAT.

Multiple data partitions and Microsoft proprietary formats (such as NTFS) are not support by iPadOS. Apple APFS and HFS+ formats are supported by your iPad, but not by your PC.

You must also ensure that the HDD has an adequate source of power other than the iPad. If the HDD does not have an integral power supply, you must use a powered USB hub. The iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to high-power USB devices such as HDD drives.

With the HDD correctly partitioned and formatted, you’ll be able to export Photos from your Camera Roll to external storage - and/or copy files using the native Files App or other third-part File Manager Apps.

I hope you find this to be helpful in providing some useful clarity.

External hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.