You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV dropping Screen Mirroring

After Big Sur update, Screen Mirroring keeps dropping off after 30 seconds. Apple TV and 2015 Macbook Pro are up to date. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 5:34 AM

10 replies

Feb 23, 2021 10:40 AM in response to JonnyDredge

Dropping will usually come down to an issue with the connection, which can happen at any time. Worth noting that mirroring is more intensive than standard airplay as it is sending out a device's display in real time so it needs a much more stable connection.

Make sure no other activity is occurring on the network (other streaming, web use, network backups etc)

If on wifi try Apple TV on ethernet

To see a current status of the network get a report using istumbler or similar. Look for signal strength, noise, nearby networks

Feb 23, 2021 10:55 AM in response to JonnyDredge

That doesn't rule out a network issue. There have been select users over the years who have had a similar experience and because it happened to occur after an update they assumed that it was the cause. Of those who went ahead with an investigation it has in fact been a connection issue and rectified. Ultimately, it's best not make an assumption and look into it more.

Mar 5, 2021 9:00 AM in response to JonnyDredge

Again, another device working does not rule out a network issue. There are select threads from users who happened to experience the issue and have linked it with the update. The same occurred after the previous version was released, and others before it. If it were an issue directly with the update then there would be a consistently high rate or reports, it would be easy to replicate by regular testers, and this thread would have also received a multitude of responses by now.

If you wanted to adequately rule out the network then you would have had to follow what was advised above. However, it seems that you want to continue on with an assumption so there is no way to move forward based on that premise. I will bow out of this discussion and leave you to do as you wish.

Mar 6, 2021 4:44 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks, I have actually followed all of your suggestions. iStumbler found no issues with the network and it had full signal strength and I have spoken to my friends who still work for Apple (I was a creative then genius for 6 years). I do appreciate your help and suggestions but I really just want to get to the bottom of it. At least we still have one MacBook that will still connect to the AppleTV.

Apple TV dropping Screen Mirroring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.