You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitors, only one will connect

I am trying to connect a second display to my MacBook Air. I have one connected via the USB-C to HDMI adapter. For my second monitor, I have a plug that goes HDMI to the regular USB slot found on both sides of the MacBook. The second one will not connect. Is there maybe a different adaptor I need, or is the MacBook Air not capable of having two additional displays connected?

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 9:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 11:09 AM

Hello Kbjornson,

Which generation MacBook Air? The M1 generation only supports a single monitor.

Click on this link for more information -->

Use multiple displays with your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT202351

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop."

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2021 11:09 AM in response to Kbjornson11

Hello Kbjornson,

Which generation MacBook Air? The M1 generation only supports a single monitor.

Click on this link for more information -->

Use multiple displays with your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT202351

"If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, you can connect a single external display to your Mac using one of the Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. Docks don't increase the number of displays you can connect as an extended desktop."

External monitors, only one will connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.