You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011Keyboard not working after Login

I have an older MBP 2011. The keyboard works up until after login, but to complicate issues I cant remember the password. So when it gives me the option to reset from my Apple ID and password I enter them and submit and it fails out (Im guessing because the WiFi has not been connected) When I get to a point where I can access and select the Wifi the keyboard wont type in the password. I have tried to reformat it but once I boot up in refresh mode the keyboard doesn't work.

I have flashed the PRAM tried all the SMC resets but can't get the keyboard to work past login. The key here is it works up until login then fails. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 10:28 AM

What was throwing me off was that the keyboard was working up until login. Likewise, there wasn't a viable WiFi connection or a way for me to join the network. I finally just plugged in the ethernet and then it finally connected so I did a clean reinstall and that seemed to fix the problem.

3 replies

Feb 23, 2021 10:00 PM in response to tsstromberg

Surprisingly I have encountered this once or twice with our organizations Macs. I think the problem was due to a bad Logic Board, but I'm not certain.

Try using an external USB keyboard to access your Mac. If the external keyboard doesn't work, then you need to disconnect the internal keyboard from the Logic Board and try the external keyboard again.

MacBook Pro 2011Keyboard not working after Login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.