You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Part of login screen is gray...

I restarted my MacBook Pro (M1) tonight and when it got to the login screen, I was faced with this... Part of the background is grayed out. When I login, it seems to clear itself. But after restarting again... shutting down.. etc, the glitch happens again at the login screen... I only found one other post about this and he said it was due to a the auto background changing for day/night mode. I don't have that on, so must be something else... Anyone else have this issue?

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 8:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 9:10 PM

Try using a different wallpaper/background picture or don't use any picture (use just a solid color) at least for testing purposes.

Make sure macOS is completely up to date with all its patches.

Have you used any external displays with this laptop? It almost looks like it may be resized to work with another external display even though you are not using one now. Go into the Display System Preferences and change the display resolution to see if it fixes the issue. Maybe the preference file is corrupt and may need to be deleted (Display, background/wallpaper, screensaver, etc.).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2021 9:10 PM in response to mattd313

Try using a different wallpaper/background picture or don't use any picture (use just a solid color) at least for testing purposes.

Make sure macOS is completely up to date with all its patches.

Have you used any external displays with this laptop? It almost looks like it may be resized to work with another external display even though you are not using one now. Go into the Display System Preferences and change the display resolution to see if it fixes the issue. Maybe the preference file is corrupt and may need to be deleted (Display, background/wallpaper, screensaver, etc.).

Feb 23, 2021 9:25 PM in response to HWTech

Yea, the only thing a bit unique about when I restarted the computer was that I was connected to my iPad using Sidecar. When I initiated the restart it seemed glitchy, and when it came back up that's what I saw.

Interestingly, changing the wallpaper did the trick. However, doing a restart while connected via Sidecar didn't reproduce the issue again. Very strange, but second glitchy issue I've had with this new M1 MacBook Pro since using it the last 48 hours...

Part of login screen is gray...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.