You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create an album from an identified person?

In macOS Big Sur's Photos app, there's a People Album. In it, there is a thumbnail for each identified person and clicking on that lets one view photos of that person. My goal is to share all pictures of one person. But there doesn't appear to be a direct way to do this (e.g. create a shared album from the thumbnail of that person). Is the only way to do this to manually select all the photos of that person and then create a shared album from those photos? What if Photos later identifies that person in more photos? Do I manually have to update the shared album with the newly identified photos (doesn't Photo sometimes do this in the background - in that case how would I even know which are new?)

I must be missing something - this seems like a fairly basic/useful feature. My mom just died and I want to share all photos of her with friends and family.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 6:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 7:27 AM

Hi

First - sorry for your loss.

But yes, as far as I can tell, there is only the manual way - and it won't automatically update the shared album. As you point out there is no easy way to see what items have been newly identifies. I checked to see what happens if you select all photos and add them again to the shared album - and it just duplicates all the ones that were added previously. I'd hoped it might just "overwrite", or not copy them if they were already there.

So the only way you could do it easily after new photos are found would be to delete everything from the shared album, and then re-add all the photos of that person.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 24, 2021 7:27 AM in response to tjwolf

Hi

First - sorry for your loss.

But yes, as far as I can tell, there is only the manual way - and it won't automatically update the shared album. As you point out there is no easy way to see what items have been newly identifies. I checked to see what happens if you select all photos and add them again to the shared album - and it just duplicates all the ones that were added previously. I'd hoped it might just "overwrite", or not copy them if they were already there.

So the only way you could do it easily after new photos are found would be to delete everything from the shared album, and then re-add all the photos of that person.

How do I create an album from an identified person?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.