You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which external transistor microphone is recognized by the iMac?

Hi,

I have a late 2013 iMac 21.5. I know that most microphones on the iMac do not work. Is there any external microphone at all – other than the iPhone headset or AirPods? I would like to use a table microphone.

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 12:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 8:50 AM

USB mics should appear, when connected to a USB port in the following places, as they do on my iMac 2020 when I connected three different types of USB Mic

System Preferences / Sound:

Applications > Utilities > MIDI Audio Setup

Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report then click on the USB entry under Hardware:

Try the following two Apple procedures to see if it helps:

reset the PRAM/NVRAM

reset the SMC

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2021 8:50 AM in response to schimei

USB mics should appear, when connected to a USB port in the following places, as they do on my iMac 2020 when I connected three different types of USB Mic

System Preferences / Sound:

Applications > Utilities > MIDI Audio Setup

Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report then click on the USB entry under Hardware:

Try the following two Apple procedures to see if it helps:

reset the PRAM/NVRAM

reset the SMC

Feb 25, 2021 3:07 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thank you for your detailed research.

I have of course already tried different types of mics. I also know that all mics generally work on Macs - Macbook especially.

But these iMacs are a bit complicated. They don't have line inputs and outputs. USB-connected mics don't show up as selectable in System Preferences. Thats the reason why I phrased my question this way, asking for a specific type of mic that will surely work on this iMac. Maybe a bluetooth mic?

Which external transistor microphone is recognized by the iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.