You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Existing iTunes Library to Apple Music

I’m considering subscribing to Apple Music, but I’m unsure whether I can essentially sync that subscription with my existing, very extensive, music library.

My lossy format library currently exists in iTunes on an older Mac Mini and is synced to my iPhone X. There’s a lot of stuff in it that isn’t available on Apple Music.

If I subscribe to Apple Music, I want to know if it’s possible to:

A) Import music from the subscription into my existing library (effectively like an iTunes purchase)

and, if so

B) Sync this library, with a mix of purchased content and Apple Music content onto the Music app on my phone (but not through iTunes Match)

Slightly nerdy questions, but I can’t seem to find a clear answer to them online.

Any help appreciated!

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 2:50 PM

Yes and Yes.

Make sure you have a backup before you do anything else. If you are careful, Apple Music does not interfere with your local audio files, but you will see on this Forum that many people find problems.

For (A) see this: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Atbalsts

For (B), if you don't have a subscription, you can connect via USB and sync: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2021 2:50 PM in response to Beese71

Yes and Yes.

Make sure you have a backup before you do anything else. If you are careful, Apple Music does not interfere with your local audio files, but you will see on this Forum that many people find problems.

For (A) see this: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Atbalsts

For (B), if you don't have a subscription, you can connect via USB and sync: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

Connecting Existing iTunes Library to Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.