You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to press power button to wake iMac

Ever since I bought my new iMac 2020, I have to use the power button to wake up my MAC, this happens if I leave it sleeping for more than a few minutes. On my older Mac, I was simply able to jiggle the mouse or kit my space bar on my keyboard. Once I do hit the power button, it immediately wakes up at the login screen- so it is definitely not shutting down or going into a safe sleep mode as there is no progress bar once I hit the button.

Please help. I see I am not the only person with this issue.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 2:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 2:19 PM

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2021 2:19 PM in response to MarketingMonkey

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Need to press power button to wake iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.