You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to upgrade my MacBook Pro 13-inch, late 2011 to the new Big Sur

Is there any way to upgrade my MacBook Pro 13-inch, late 2011 to the new Big Sur?

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 7:28 PM

2 replies

Feb 27, 2021 7:56 PM in response to bunnyblu28

MacOS upgrades always check for a list of hardware used in `Macs no longer supported by Apple. If the upgrade installation finds any of this older hardware it will jump to a routine that aborts the installation. The way round this is to get a patched version of Big Sur, but this is against Apple's Terms and Conditions/EULA. Even then, your MacBook Pro from late 2011 may have more of these older components than some newer Macs which Big Sur doesn't officially support. If it does work, then I doubt that 100% of the features will work and your WiFi adaptor may be disabled, but I don't know much about this model of Mac compared with the others which are supported. Another possibility is to try and upgrade the logic board to a newer version, so long as it will fit. A site for helping older Macs is https://lowendmac.com

Is there any way to upgrade my MacBook Pro 13-inch, late 2011 to the new Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.