You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Actual resolution on Macbook Air 13 Apple Silicon

Hi there,

I have posted another question about using a late-2012 iMac 27"/Catalina as display for my new MBA 13 Apple Silicon.

After trying ALL possibilities of cables (over 100 EUR) I had concluded that Catalina was the problem.

But then by chance I took my old MBA 2012 and connected it to the iMac in target display mode and it worked perfectly.

Now, I wonder if the problem is not simply about the resolution of the retina MBA 13 Apple Silicon.

It seems that when I adjust the "resolution" in BigSur it only changes the sizes of some graphical elements such as fonts, buttons, etc, but not the actual number of dots.

Do you know if there's a way to force this resolution down so I could make another test ?

Kind regards,

Gustavo

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 11:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 12:14 PM

ZERO 2020 Macs can connect to any iMac that has Target

Display mode capabilities. There are no workarounds,

hacks, system tweaks, magic wands or incantations that

will make it work.

Fro this article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier

for use as an external display.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 28, 2021 12:14 PM in response to zchef

ZERO 2020 Macs can connect to any iMac that has Target

Display mode capabilities. There are no workarounds,

hacks, system tweaks, magic wands or incantations that

will make it work.

Fro this article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier

for use as an external display.

Actual resolution on Macbook Air 13 Apple Silicon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.