You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking Multiple Cells to Single Cell

I have a list in column A, with individual number information in each cell.

I would like to set it up such that when I select a cell (eg. A1on table 1) from the column list, it's contents is referenced to another cell. (eg B1 on table 2)

And when i click on another cell from the column list (eg. A2 on table 1), the contents of this cell replaces the first selection with it's contents, in the same cell (B1 on table 2.)

Thanks for any help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 1:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 1:44 PM

Hi Vic,

When transferring data from one location to another in a spreadsheet document you need to think in terms of 'pulling' that data 'from' a source cell, not 'pushing' the data from thee source to the destination.

To do what you describe, you'll need a formula in Table 2::B1 that searches a list to determine which row of Table 1::A it is to retrieve the correct data, and an Index column to contain the values that the formula is to search.

Here's one example, using VLOOKUP, and an added column of checkbox cells in Table 1 to use as a search range.

The formula shown below the tables is i the selected cell, B2 of Table 2.

With no cll checked in column A of Table 1, the formula will return an error message. You can prevent this by wrapping the formula in an IFERROR statement:

current version:                VLOOKUP(TRUE,Table 1::A:B,2,close-match)+Table 1::A8

wrapped version: IFERROR(VLOOKUP(TRUE,Table 1::A:B,2,close-match)+Table 1::A8),"")

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 2, 2021 1:44 PM in response to viclil

Hi Vic,

When transferring data from one location to another in a spreadsheet document you need to think in terms of 'pulling' that data 'from' a source cell, not 'pushing' the data from thee source to the destination.

To do what you describe, you'll need a formula in Table 2::B1 that searches a list to determine which row of Table 1::A it is to retrieve the correct data, and an Index column to contain the values that the formula is to search.

Here's one example, using VLOOKUP, and an added column of checkbox cells in Table 1 to use as a search range.

The formula shown below the tables is i the selected cell, B2 of Table 2.

With no cll checked in column A of Table 1, the formula will return an error message. You can prevent this by wrapping the formula in an IFERROR statement:

current version:                VLOOKUP(TRUE,Table 1::A:B,2,close-match)+Table 1::A8

wrapped version: IFERROR(VLOOKUP(TRUE,Table 1::A:B,2,close-match)+Table 1::A8),"")

Regards,

Barry

Linking Multiple Cells to Single Cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.