You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Photos App has lost the last 5 years of my photos, does anyone know why or how to resolve?

In the Photos App, all of a sudden, the last 5 years of my photos, albums, projects etc, have disappeared. Does anyone know why or how to resolve?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 10:28 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2021 10:40 AM in response to kellystarr851

kellystarr851 wrote:
.... and learned that I had inadvertently clicked on an old Library in Photos.

That is strange - why did you need to click a library to open? Usually, Photos will always open the last used library when you launch Photos and we do not have to select a library, unless the library is on a volume, that Photos cannot find.

Is your Photos Library in a supported location, for example in your Pictures folder? Or are you keeping it on an external volume? If your library is on an external volume, make sure, it is compatible with Photos for Mac, as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

And make sure, the external volume is always mounted and available, whether you are working with Photos or not. Your system Photos Library needs always to be available for he background processes, whether you are working with Photos or not.

The Photos App has lost the last 5 years of my photos, does anyone know why or how to resolve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.