You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, I want to know if the Mac Mini can be connected to an old iMac 21.5-in, mid 2010. My iMac is running MC OS Sierra V-10.12.6 and will no longer accept updates, so I want to know if I get a mac mini with a M1 chip can I connect it to my iMac 21.5

My iMac 21.5-inch, mid 2010 operates with MAC OS Sierra v-10.12.6 and will longer accept updates. If I purchase a Mac Mini can I connect that to my existing iMac and use that display. If, so, what would I need.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 9:32 AM

Nope, no way, not going to happen.

1. The 2010 21.5" iMac does not support Target Display Mode.
  2. The 2020 M1 Mac Mini can not use any iMac as a display in Target Display Mode.

Carefully read all of the supported models and details, at > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

3 replies

Hi, I want to know if the Mac Mini can be connected to an old iMac 21.5-in, mid 2010. My iMac is running MC OS Sierra V-10.12.6 and will no longer accept updates, so I want to know if I get a mac mini with a M1 chip can I connect it to my iMac 21.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.