You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder > On My Mac Folder No Access

So I'm trying to add a folder to the On My Mac folder (I do not want it in iCloud) and I cannot add any folders or create folders inside it. I checked the permissions but it says I have unknown access. How can I solve this problem? I am the only user on the Mac, and I'm an administrator.

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 7:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 4:21 PM

Hi bts3,

It may be that, like on my computer, at least, the "On My Mac" folder is part of the Mail app.,

In your screenshot ... you also seems to have that folder listed in the Finder sidebar.

(To add a folder to Finder's side-bar, we can just drag the folder we want quick access to there.)

If I am understanding things correctly ...

With Mail open, you should be able to add folders/ mailboxes to "On my Mac" to store your Mail.

Apple has info. online on how to create mailboxes (folders) on Mac::

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mail/mlhlp1021/14.0/mac/11.0

Please excuse, if I'm not seeing your situation correctly.

Just hoping this helps you.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 7, 2021 4:21 PM in response to bts3

Hi bts3,

It may be that, like on my computer, at least, the "On My Mac" folder is part of the Mail app.,

In your screenshot ... you also seems to have that folder listed in the Finder sidebar.

(To add a folder to Finder's side-bar, we can just drag the folder we want quick access to there.)

If I am understanding things correctly ...

With Mail open, you should be able to add folders/ mailboxes to "On my Mac" to store your Mail.

Apple has info. online on how to create mailboxes (folders) on Mac::

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mail/mlhlp1021/14.0/mac/11.0

Please excuse, if I'm not seeing your situation correctly.

Just hoping this helps you.

Mar 7, 2021 6:16 PM in response to brbo

Hmmm...I think we're talking about two different things. As far as I know, the On My Mac folder, which is a default folder in Finder when you get the computer, is just like the On My iPhone folder in the Files app. It's just a folder that is local on the device and exempt from iCloud syncing.

My issue is that the OS isn't giving me permission to access the folder (It says "You have unknown Access"). I can see it, but I can't drag and drop anything into it or create folders inside it. I'm wanting to put some backups there that can't go in a cloud synced folder.

Mar 7, 2021 6:56 PM in response to bts3

Oh. Thank you for clearing up my misconstrued idea of your situation.

My MacBook Pro is the 2017 version, I am running "Big Sur" though.

"On my Mac" in the Finder sidebar must be a recent innovation.

When I look at Finder > Preferences> Sidebar ... there is no option to have "On my Mac" there ?

I do hope someone in the Apple community who is more "in the know" will volunteer time to provide an answer.

All the best

Finder > On My Mac Folder No Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.