You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop TextEdit From Opening New Documents In Tabs

When working in a TextEdit document, creating new documents opens them in tabs instead of new windows. I think I may have turned this feature on accidentally. In any case, how do I disable it? I don't see any option to do this in TextEdit Preferences.

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 10:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 11:42 AM

Sorry, I have to clarify something. I wasn't thinking about the fact I was on the one Mac I have that refuses to open windows and will only open tabs. I just checked another Mac and I have no problems opening multiple windows in TextEdit. I can't fix the problem on mine so I can't fix the problem on yours.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2021 11:42 AM in response to LonesomeMac

Sorry, I have to clarify something. I wasn't thinking about the fact I was on the one Mac I have that refuses to open windows and will only open tabs. I just checked another Mac and I have no problems opening multiple windows in TextEdit. I can't fix the problem on mine so I can't fix the problem on yours.

Mar 14, 2021 11:47 AM in response to dialabrain

Dial, you made me think a little bit more about this.

Since ⌥⌘N opens a new Safari window, I tried it with TextEdit; this does open a new window, even though the command is not in my drop-down menu. I don't see this listed in Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences, so I assume this is native to Textedit? Either that, or I ran a Terminal command to do this in ages past.

Anyway, thanks!

Mar 14, 2021 12:02 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi, dial -- our posts crossed.

I find it odd that I can't get ⌥⌘N to show up on the TextEdit drop-down menu (by holding down the option key, for example). I don't know if it's a weirdly-hidden feature, if I ran a terminal script some time in the past, or if there's something else I'm not aware of.

The exercise did remind me that I can add all kinds of menu shortcuts in the Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences. I might swap the commands in Keyboard Shortcuts, because I rarely want tabbed windows in TE.

Thanks --

Mar 14, 2021 12:01 PM in response to LonesomeMac

LonesomeMac wrote:

Hi, dial -- our posts crossed.

It happens.

I find it odd that I can't get ⌥⌘N to show up on the TextEdit drop-down menu (by toggling the option key, for example). I don't know if it's a weirdly-hidden feature, if I ran a terminal script some time in the past, or if there's something else I'm not aware of.

My guess is Apple left it out, intentionally or unintentionally.

Thanks --

Welcome.

Stop TextEdit From Opening New Documents In Tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.