You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove songs from iPhone but not iTunes library !!!

I want a simple explained method of removing songs from my iPhone but NOT deleting them from my iTunes library !!!

I do not pay for, nor want to pay for any Apple Music subscription !

I want to be able to simply connect my iPhone to my Mac and simply click on songs/albums/artists to transfer on or off my iPhone, simply click ADD or REMOVE from iPhone NOT delete !!

Why is it that difficult ! ?

I have a lot of music stored on my Mac, I don't want it all on my iPhone at one time.

The added bonus of being able to download the music from the iCloud would be nice but not needed, since connecting to the Mac is not an issue for me.

Please help !

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 2:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 6:35 PM

See the figure in step 3 of the 'Sync or remove content using iTunes' section in:

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Instead of selecting 'Entire music library', select 'Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres'.

Then in your iTunes music library, check only the songs you want to sync to your iPhone.

The next time you sync your iPhone to your computer, only those songs will appear on your iPhone and they will remain in your iTunes library.

Note: If you use Mac Catalina or higher, the same figure is in step 5 of the 'Sync or remove content using the Finder' section of:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2021 6:35 PM in response to Tat2chile

See the figure in step 3 of the 'Sync or remove content using iTunes' section in:

Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Instead of selecting 'Entire music library', select 'Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres'.

Then in your iTunes music library, check only the songs you want to sync to your iPhone.

The next time you sync your iPhone to your computer, only those songs will appear on your iPhone and they will remain in your iTunes library.

Note: If you use Mac Catalina or higher, the same figure is in step 5 of the 'Sync or remove content using the Finder' section of:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Remove songs from iPhone but not iTunes library !!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.