You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a macbook pro from 2011. How can I upgrade it?

I don't want to change my 2011 MacBook pro. It works beautifully. The only problem is that I can't use apps that require the latest software upgrade. What can I do?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 7:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 10:31 AM

Stjb wrote:

I have Sierra High. I can't upgrade to Big Sur because it is compatible with MacBook pro 2013 and up. Does this mean this is the end of my software updates? Is my perfectly working computer useless because apple does not let me upgrade it?

Because of the built in hardware limitations, you can go no further than the maximum of High Sierra.

The latest 10.13.6 (17G14042) update (November 12, 2020)

Full stop.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 15, 2021 10:31 AM in response to Stjb

Stjb wrote:

I have Sierra High. I can't upgrade to Big Sur because it is compatible with MacBook pro 2013 and up. Does this mean this is the end of my software updates? Is my perfectly working computer useless because apple does not let me upgrade it?

Because of the built in hardware limitations, you can go no further than the maximum of High Sierra.

The latest 10.13.6 (17G14042) update (November 12, 2020)

Full stop.

Mar 15, 2021 7:59 AM in response to Stjb

Stjb wrote:

I don't want to change my 2011 MacBook pro. It works beautifully. The only problem is that I can't use apps that require the latest software upgrade. What can I do?

If you have issue— verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links:

older macOS installer backups on this server:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

Mar 15, 2021 10:26 AM in response to Stjb

Stjb wrote:

Technology is preventing you from upgrading it not Apple. Your obsolete/vintage computer does not have the hardware necessary to run a modern operating system.

I have a macbook pro from 2011. How can I upgrade it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.