You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 14 - how to add apps to share menu

How do I add unoffered app, Specifically Books (formally iBooks), as an option in the share menu? It used to come up on occasion when I was on a website wanting to open the article, PDF, document, in another app.

It used to offer the notes app first and then if I exited out choosing nothing, when I click on share again, the books app would be an option.

I’d like to do so without having to create a new shortcut…

Why do some apps offer it in the share menu and others don’t? And what determines which apps/browsers offer the books app in the share menu?

Since getting my new iPhone 12 and iOS 14 I rarely see the books offered yet it’s not in the <3 dots> “more” menu either.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 7:21 PM

3 replies

Mar 15, 2021 8:05 PM in response to immo

iBooks has never been offered through the “more” menu for me ever on previous iOS or iPhones...

It used to occasionally show up on the 2nd row (apps) as I mentioned... I often download PDFs, documents from congressional legis. sites etc. and When I click share under any of those circumstances it should offer me apps just for reading like kindle, books, etc…

Maybe my question should be:

HOW DO I ADD APPS TO THE SHARE MENU, TO ALWAYS BE OFFERED , OR AT LEAST HAVE THEM AVAILABLE, OFFERED VIA THE MORE MENU?

Why is there no basic setting for this without creating a shortcut? I’ve been a power user for years with anything that had an apple on it, yet have found shortcuts to be less than intuitive, trouble-free, in execution.

**This seems like a no brainer to be included in SETTINGS With a category for E-READERS, READING APP prefs where we could choose a default app for PDFs and documents. Dropbox (14 yrs old) , google drive, Books, Kindle, should all be obvious choices for “open in ___”.

Mar 15, 2021 8:39 PM in response to immo

After my first reply to you I went back into shortcuts and noticed that the Apple Watch slide button was perpetually on so that only things applying to Apple Watch (never had 1) I guess, were being offered… Once I turned that off, I was able to create a shortcut recipe That I think might actually work this time… Thank you for your efforts IMMO...

Still, Apple should make PDF options a part of settings, as god knows, they include far more random, much less-used stuff, customizable in great detail.

At least I discovered that pesky Apple Watch button turned on by default in the bowels of my shortcuts..

Hopefully that will take care of my issue. I welcome any quick fixes or suggestions someone else might have, with thanks in advance

ios 14 - how to add apps to share menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.