You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Maps still not working

Ever since the update to Catalina (on Big Sur now), Apple Maps has been busted. It's really a shame, because I used to use it quite often, and found it faster & more convenient than loading up Google Maps in a browser. I shouldn't say nothing has changed; I can actually bring up directions now, whereas not too long ago I couldn't even do that. The issue that remains is with "My Location". Even though I've made sure Maps is enabled in Security/Privacy Locatoin Services, it just hangs forever when I try to use my location as a starting point (see attached). Any recommendations appreciated.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 2:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 5:36 PM

I'm feeling a little better about using Maps now that I can actually get directions from one location to another & use my home address instead of 'My Location' (I couldn't do either in Catalina). It must have something to do with security/privacy settings & allowing it to access my location..even though the application has explicit permission to do so. Either way, I'm glad I messed with it a little and discovered that 85% of whatever was broken in Catalina is working now in Big Sur, which is enough to get me using the application again, so I'm happy. Thanks for the input.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 30, 2021 5:36 PM in response to etresoft

I'm feeling a little better about using Maps now that I can actually get directions from one location to another & use my home address instead of 'My Location' (I couldn't do either in Catalina). It must have something to do with security/privacy settings & allowing it to access my location..even though the application has explicit permission to do so. Either way, I'm glad I messed with it a little and discovered that 85% of whatever was broken in Catalina is working now in Big Sur, which is enough to get me using the application again, so I'm happy. Thanks for the input.

Mar 18, 2021 6:23 AM in response to adamfromtempe

etresoft hinted that I should get in touch with you since it seems like a weird coincidence that my location services is locating my MBP in Tempe, AZ instead of Vienna, Austria where it should be. And then there is you who is from Tempe, AZ and has issues with the my location services function as well.

In Apple Maps I got the same issue that if I want to get directions the spinning wheel keeps going and going if the starting position is »my location«. If I just click on the »my location« arrow icon --> I'm suddenly in Tempe, AZ (see attachment below). Same goes for Time Zone (I need to set the time zone manually - otherwise I'll get Phoenix, AZ time), etc.

Long story short: might there be a connection between your problem and mine? Or is it just pure coincidence that Tempe, AZ is the epicentre of this mess :o ;)

Mar 18, 2021 7:42 AM in response to satoshimage

I can't argue with the weirdness of the coincidence. It's not exactly my neighborhood, but that blue dot is no more than a 10 minute drive. I pretty much gave up on Apple Maps on Mac OS with Catalina; was just one bug too many & I had to choose my battles. After 25+ years of using Apple's operating systems, I am comfortable saying Catalina was the worst mess I can remember. Anyway, it's an odd coincidence, but I don't see how it could be anything beyond that.

Mar 18, 2021 8:33 AM in response to adamfromtempe

adamfromtempe wrote:

I can't argue with the weirdness of the coincidence. It's not exactly my neighborhood, but that blue dot is no more than a 10 minute drive. I pretty much gave up on Apple Maps on Mac OS with Catalina; was just one bug too many & I had to choose my battles. After 25+ years of using Apple's operating systems, I am comfortable saying Catalina was the worst mess I can remember. Anyway, it's an odd coincidence, but I don't see how it could be anything beyond that.

Actually I just thought it was funny because of the Tempe location. But the fact that location services puts that Austrian computer right at the Harkins theatre/parking lot makes me suspect that the other computer is a grey market/used/stolen computer. I don't think satoshimage stole it. I think they were probably just another victim.

There are other explanations too. A hardware repair could have reset the serial number, maybe corrupted some database at Apple. Sometimes people don't reveal those kinds of details. They just blame some OS upgrade instead. 😄

Mac OS Maps still not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.