You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is mac os x base system and why can I not do anything on disk utility when I start up my system using command R. When I go to reinstall OS Lion there is no disk to select. What am I doing wrong?

What is mac os x base system and why can I not do anything on disk utility when I start up my system using command R. When I go to reinstall OS Lion there is no disk to select. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 3:30 AM

1 reply

Mar 21, 2021 6:14 AM in response to supereddie33

Hi supereddie33,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with installing OS X Lion on your Mac. We'd like to help.

From what you've described, it sounds like your starred disk is no longer available. Please start with the info and troubleshooting here: If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

Give those steps a try and let us know how that goes.

Take care!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.