You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent screen dimming

My M1 MacBook Air dims if it's bright outside or a bright light hits the screen. The dimming happens not when idle but just after opening the computer from sleep mode. It's almost as if it's doing the inverse of what it should do, getting brighter when the ambient light is bright. The quick solution is to brighten the screen using the keyboard. A few minutes or maybe a bit later, it will again dim, and I'll have to use the keyboard to brighten the screen.

The display setting is on auto in the settings panel. What control should I adjust?

Posted on Mar 20, 2021 6:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 3:37 PM

Disabling auto brightness is a solution but negates the ability of the computer to adjust to variable brightness. I want the solution to use a working version of auto brightness. Either there is a problem with the way I've set up the computer or some other problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2021 3:37 PM in response to PRP_53

Disabling auto brightness is a solution but negates the ability of the computer to adjust to variable brightness. I want the solution to use a working version of auto brightness. Either there is a problem with the way I've set up the computer or some other problem.

Mar 22, 2021 1:53 AM in response to pnajar

Yes, disable auto brightness should make it Static as per last setting by user. Understand, Auto brightness work off the Camera Sensor to determine the Ambient Light at time of usage and adjusts as ambient light changes. To test - cover the camera with finger and notice the display change, remove finger and changes again, shine a flash light directly at camera and third change. That is how the Designer wired it to work.

At this point - if still not satisfied and to be constructive about this, send complaints to Apple Feedback or Open a Repair Ticket.

Intermittent screen dimming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.