You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

monthly calendar w selectable year?

Hi All,

I've been tasked with modifying a monthly calendar for my wife's business, but it's an Excel doc. It's got tabs for each month, but the big trick is the floating "Select Year" pull-down menu. As you select different years, each month's dates populate accordingly.

I can't figure out how to do anything like this in Numbers and I don't have a working version of Excel (I dislike subscription models as much as I dislike Excel).

Thoughts? Thanks!

MacOS 10.15.7

Numbers 10.3.9

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 4:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 10:47 AM

Very helpful, thank you!

And yes, I just found out that their accounting person has Numbers but insists that this doc end up in Excel.

I'm not going to buy / rent Excel, so I'll have to find another way to tackle this.

Thanks again for showing me the cool Calendar trick. I didn't know that was an option. I'll consider this matter closed and move on to another approach.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2021 10:47 AM in response to SGIII

Very helpful, thank you!

And yes, I just found out that their accounting person has Numbers but insists that this doc end up in Excel.

I'm not going to buy / rent Excel, so I'll have to find another way to tackle this.

Thanks again for showing me the cool Calendar trick. I didn't know that was an option. I'll consider this matter closed and move on to another approach.

Mar 23, 2021 10:03 AM in response to musicalbox23

You make it sound like this would be hard to do in Numbers.

You select the year right there in the table under the month name, not so different than how you select it in Excel. To create your 12 monthly tabs, you can do this:

1. Delete the "blank" sheet that is unnecessary in the template
  2. Rename the calendar sheet as January
  3. Duplicate the sheet, name that one February
  4. In February, select and delete cell A2. Replace it with the formula =January::Month and Year::A2
  5. Duplicate the February sheet for the rest of the months
  6. Change the sheet names and change the month names in the tables
  7. Use cell A2 in the January sheet to select the year for all sheets.

Mar 21, 2021 6:39 PM in response to musicalbox23

Also take a look at the Calendar application included with your Mac OS package.

It can be sett to display a day's calendar, a week, a month of a full year.

Clickin the < or > to the left and tight of Today will move focus by one of whichever unit yu have chosen from the four chi=oices shown.

Jumping from "Today" (March 22, 2021 to mid December 20131 takes a few clicks, but little time.

Click year to move to a yearly calendar.

Click the forward arrow ( > ) 11 times to move to (March) 2032

Click Month

Click the move back arrow three tines to move back to December, 2031.

Double click the date (Dec 17) to record a new event for that date.

To return to "Today" click Today.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 23, 2021 9:29 AM in response to Barry

Thanks for the reply!

I'm familiar with the Calendar templates that come with Numbers. Typically they work just fine. This document (see attached) has an embedded calendar on a page that has other text. Like most Excel sheets there are tabs across the bottom. In this case they're used to select the month (12 tabs, obviously).

The Trick is that off to the right side (outside of the print area) is a floating table with a pull-down menu that allows you to select the year. So if you select 2021 the 12 Month tabs all get populated with the right day / date for this year. If you pull it down and select 2022 all the month tabs get populated with the day / dates from that year, etc.

Mar 21, 2021 5:25 PM in response to musicalbox23

Did you take a look at the Calendar template provided with Numbers or is that not what you have in mind?

You can download one of the free open-source Office clones and probably still use the Excel calendar document you already have.

I dislike the subscription model as much as you. I also dislike that everything is "licensed" now; you don't "own" anything, just the right to use it. Microsoft still "sells" a Home and Student version that is not a subscription model. If they do away with Home and Student, I'll be using one of the free Office clones next time I "upgrade".

monthly calendar w selectable year?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.