You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Issues

I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to move from an Apple Mac mini "Core i7" 2.6 (Late 2012) running Catalina (latest version) to a new Apple Mac mini "M1" 8-Core 3.2 (2020).

My process:

1. reboot the i7
  2. Using disk utility, erase a 4tb USB drive Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled) 
  3. Set this for Time machine backup, perform backup. Eject safely, plug into M1 Mac mini.
  4. Boot the m1 mac, run through the set up, creating a new admin account.
  5. launch migration assistant, bring over all of the data available, including three admin accounts
  6. once completed. reboot the m1 Mac mini

Once this has completed, I am trying each of the 'admin' accounts. Two of the admin accounts open flawlessly, one hangs after entering the password (spinning ball).

Things I have done to alleviate this:

1. erase/recreate the time machine backup
  2. remove all login items from the affected account and then recreate the time machine backup
  3. erase/restore the m1 mac mini, update with the above
  4. boot in safe mode on the m1 and then try to log in

On each restore, accounts #2/3 login fine, but account #1 still hangs when trying to log in.

Is there a different way I should try to accomplish this? Or is there anything else I can do to 'clean' the affected account before bringing over? Instead of using an external hard drive, would a migration via network be better?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 8:15 PM

This was super helpful, and worked.

What I did, in case anyone else needs it:

• Started up the M1 Mac Mini in recovery mode by holding in the back button until options came up.
  • erased the entire drive
  • reactivated the Mac Mini
  • reinstalled a fresh copy of Big Sur via the internet
  • once reinstalled, did the migration from the old Mini's Time Machine backup, with ALL applications not checked (including those within user accounts)

Much appreciated!

Now onto reinstalling all the apps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2021 8:15 PM in response to a brody

This was super helpful, and worked.

What I did, in case anyone else needs it:

• Started up the M1 Mac Mini in recovery mode by holding in the back button until options came up.
  • erased the entire drive
  • reactivated the Mac Mini
  • reinstalled a fresh copy of Big Sur via the internet
  • once reinstalled, did the migration from the old Mini's Time Machine backup, with ALL applications not checked (including those within user accounts)

Much appreciated!

Now onto reinstalling all the apps!

Migration Assistant Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.