You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina - F1/F2 brightness & F10/F11/F12 volume keyboard controls broken

I have a iMac, 27 inch, (late 2013) with a 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor. It has 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory. Graphics are NVDIA GoForce GTX 775M 2 GB.

I don't know when it happened because I wasn't paying attention to it, but I am guessing it happened after I upgraded to Catalina version 10.15.7, but my adjust brightness keyboard buttons are not working at all.

I only noticed because my wife was wondering if I could turn down the brightness one night last week and....I found I could not. Neither the F1 nor the F2 button works. Wow.

I have an Apple Magic Keyboard that is recharged via cable. I have had virtually no problems with this Mac since I bought it, but this one is puzzler. Such a simple thing too...but, annoying when you're used to being able to do it with a push of a button. I just realized my volume control buttons don't work either. Oddly, the F3, F5, F6 *do* work....puzzling.

Does anyone have a fix? I am somewhat technology-challenged, which is why I literally gave you all the specs I could find when I'm guessing you don't need to know the graphics card specs for a brightness level issue. I have seen some smarter people talk about patches on other boards and that's beyond my pay grade. Thank you for any help.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 7:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 12:45 PM

I tried it. Didn't work. I'll try again in a week when I have the time. It's weird. Thanks.

Hold up - I fiddled in the Keyboard menu within System Preferences and I *unchecked* the box/option that says "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys (when this option is selected, press the F1 key to use the special features printed on each key)"...

After unchecking that option, the F1, F2, etc keys actually work. Just re-checked the box, the keys don't work.

So, thank you rkaufmann87! You may have helped and you may not have...¯\_(ツ)_/¯...I just know it's fixed now. Geez technology is weird. And I'm supposed to get into an autonomous car or trust a robot....oy.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2021 12:45 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I tried it. Didn't work. I'll try again in a week when I have the time. It's weird. Thanks.

Hold up - I fiddled in the Keyboard menu within System Preferences and I *unchecked* the box/option that says "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys (when this option is selected, press the F1 key to use the special features printed on each key)"...

After unchecking that option, the F1, F2, etc keys actually work. Just re-checked the box, the keys don't work.

So, thank you rkaufmann87! You may have helped and you may not have...¯\_(ツ)_/¯...I just know it's fixed now. Geez technology is weird. And I'm supposed to get into an autonomous car or trust a robot....oy.

macOS Catalina - F1/F2 brightness & F10/F11/F12 volume keyboard controls broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.