You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost attachments in message

How can I recover the image attachments in message conversations after an update (and why do they continually disappear with each update?!)

Despite saying “Tap to Download” the images never actually download no matter my connection to data or wifi. I receive them ok initially but when my phone automatically download or installs and update - poof! They’re gone!

These aren’t in iMessage - just standard SMS.

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 6:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 7:15 PM

If these are images, then that is MMS, not SMS. And that requires cellular data. If there is a problem with them remaining with an MMS, you need to contact your cellular carrier to see how they handle media that is sent via MMS that you have just saved in a message and not downloaded to your device and saved. MMS is a carrier feature and they would have to answer your question.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2021 7:15 PM in response to kirstie903

If these are images, then that is MMS, not SMS. And that requires cellular data. If there is a problem with them remaining with an MMS, you need to contact your cellular carrier to see how they handle media that is sent via MMS that you have just saved in a message and not downloaded to your device and saved. MMS is a carrier feature and they would have to answer your question.

Lost attachments in message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.