You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble hearing playback from the bus with routed tracks

Hello,

I am currently working in Logic Pro 10.6.1 on a late 2020 MacBook Pro.

In my session I have most instruments under track stacks (drum bus, bass bus, etc). I am trying to route all tracks and track stacks to one final instrument bus, however when I do so I am having some trouble hearing playback from the bus.

Sometimes I hear playback automatically, sometimes I have to enable input monitoring or record enable on the bus, sometimes it will work until I click on another track to make an edit in the mix.

I feel as though I am missing a simple workaround, can someone point me in the right direction?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 3:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 9:27 PM

Thank you. Great song BTW.

On the NEW session with few tracks. What is the INPUT of the Instrument Bus set to?

Should be set to Bus 8.

Also, because you are using an AUDIO track you are having this effect. Think about it.....

you do not hear sound until you Arm the track and hence the AUDIO track is ready to record. Please follow this thread carefully and it should get you there.

If you use an AUX track, it will work out fine.

Hope this helps and solves your query.

------------

Hi there,

Can we try something? On a separate session, create one simple track stack and make sure the output is set to BUS 1?

An aux will be created that will correspond to Bus 1 and you should now be hearing the audio from that Aux track.

Hope this helps and solves your query,

Eddie G.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 31, 2021 9:27 PM in response to jackbobley

Thank you. Great song BTW.

On the NEW session with few tracks. What is the INPUT of the Instrument Bus set to?

Should be set to Bus 8.

Also, because you are using an AUDIO track you are having this effect. Think about it.....

you do not hear sound until you Arm the track and hence the AUDIO track is ready to record. Please follow this thread carefully and it should get you there.

If you use an AUX track, it will work out fine.

Hope this helps and solves your query.

------------

Hi there,

Can we try something? On a separate session, create one simple track stack and make sure the output is set to BUS 1?

An aux will be created that will correspond to Bus 1 and you should now be hearing the audio from that Aux track.

Eddie G.

Mar 31, 2021 8:46 PM in response to EddieGrey

Hey again,

Sorry for not being clear, when I said track stack I did in fact mean summing stack. I have no trouble with the summing groups I already have, but what I want to do now is route the output of all of my instruments and groups of instruments to one final instrument bus, that way I can treat everything but the vocals on one channel.

As far as I can tell I'm doing this correctly, it seems like a pretty simple routing job. But when I start playback in the session I only hear the vocals, in other words everything being sent to that bus is not audible. I mentioned the summing groups because I figured the problem might have been caused by audio being routed to a bus and subsequently to another bus, but there are also some standalone tracks being sent to the instrument bus and I cannot hear any of them either when the playback is not functioning properly.

It doesn't seem to be consistent, but I will try to describe what happens when I don't hear playback:

• Usually when I have selected the bus and turned on input monitoring I hear everything passing through the bus with no problem, but when I click on another track the sound stops. (This leads me to believe it could possibly have to do with an input monitoring setting, not sure though).
  • Occasionally after playback has stopped working through that bus, toggling on record enable on the bus will cause the audio to resume. But frustratingly, this doesn't always work.
  • Lastly, sometimes nothing I do will make the audio route through the instrument bus properly. Deleting the track and making an identical one sometimes temporarily solves the problem.

Sorry if this is confusing, I tried to outline as much of it as I could think of, please let me know if there is any other info that might be helpful. If necessary I could make a short screen recording demonstrating.

Thanks,

Jack

Mar 31, 2021 9:02 PM in response to jackbobley

Awesome. A couple of notes...

• input monitoring has nothing to do with routing but rather a function of hearing yourself back when recording with a microphone or guitar.

• routing all of the music can be great for mixing. If you do this, you should only send the Output of the Track Stack (as the other individual tracks are already being routed) to your “Summing Bus”.

yes please send extra media so I can be of further assistance. That being said, please start a new session so we can be on the same page.

Eddie G.

Mar 31, 2021 8:28 PM in response to EddieGrey

Hey Eddie,

Yes, the track stack routing works just fine. The problem only arises when I then route the audio from those track stacks to the instrument bus. I manually set all of their outputs to bus 8, and the input of the bus I had created to bus 8. I can sometimes hear audio coming through it, but sometimes not, it seems extremely unreliable.

Mar 31, 2021 8:36 PM in response to jackbobley

Hi there,

To be clear...what I should you above is not a track stack per se but a “Summing Bus” or “Summing Group”. This is the traditional way of doing things but you are right, in that the routing is essentially like a “Track Stack”.

if this is working well, you should not have to route to an “instrument track”. Do you mean a software instrument track when you say this? I just want to better serve you.

If you want to take a “Track Stack” and route the output to another aux track then you can absolutely do this. Just follow the details as mentioned before.

Happy to be of assistance.

Eddie G.

Mar 31, 2021 9:13 PM in response to EddieGrey

Hey,

I know that about input monitoring, that's why I thought it was really odd that I could only hear audio passing through my bus when I toggled it on.

Secondly, when you say summing bus, you just mean a bus created that hosts many instruments, correct? That is what I'm currently trying to set up but I want to be sure we're talking about the same thing.

I've attached two screen recordings, the first is from the session I am currently working on, the second from a new blank one where I replicated the problem. The same issue occurs in the blank session. (The picture and audio quality are pretty low but they should still illustrate the issue).

youtube.com/watch?v=mzS-rh_L9Uk&ab_channel=JackBobley

https://youtu.be/2Z2gPF0NKbg

Having trouble hearing playback from the bus with routed tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.