You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i tunes keeps asking me to authorize, my authorized computer

all of a sudden , i tunes beagn asking me to authorize my Dell PC , windows 10 ...

tried playing a song off an album i'd purchased awhile back, from apple store...

despite getting confirmation the pc IS authorized, keeps asking me to authorize...re-started the computer,,,no change

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 8:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 10:43 AM

Repeated requests to authorize an already authorized computer for store downloads typically indicates you have corrupt or incomplete copies. Delete the tracks that won't play from your library without hiding from your purchase history. Redownload using the cloud links that should remain, or close iTunes and reopen if they don't show up straight away. While downloading click the activity widget and turn off the option that allows for simultaneous downloads.

If that hasn't helped see If iTunes for Windows prompts you to authorize your computer when you try to play purchases - Apple Support.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2021 10:43 AM in response to rowdog44

Repeated requests to authorize an already authorized computer for store downloads typically indicates you have corrupt or incomplete copies. Delete the tracks that won't play from your library without hiding from your purchase history. Redownload using the cloud links that should remain, or close iTunes and reopen if they don't show up straight away. While downloading click the activity widget and turn off the option that allows for simultaneous downloads.

If that hasn't helped see If iTunes for Windows prompts you to authorize your computer when you try to play purchases - Apple Support.

tt2

Apr 5, 2021 9:11 AM in response to rowdog44

1. Select the problem item in your library.
  2. Right-click and use Show in Explorer.
  3. Select the file, press Ctrl+C and the Ctrl+V. This will make a copy just in case.
  4. Back in iTunes select the item and press delete on your keyboard.
  5. Confirm that you want to delete the file. Don't hide from purchase history if prompted.
  6. Close iTunes. Reopen.
  7. If you don't see the track with a cloud download link see Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and unhide the hidden purchase, then repeat step 6 if needed.
  8. Click the download icon to download a fresh copy of the track to your library.

tt2

Apr 5, 2021 10:17 AM in response to rowdog44

The current version of iTunes for Windows is 12.11.0.26, or 12.10.10.2 if you have Windows 7 or 8. You can find direct links at the bottom of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community.

Deleting and redownload normally works to fix authorization issues. Do you have any third party anti-virus software that might potentially conflict with iTunes?

tt2

Apr 5, 2021 10:05 AM in response to turingtest2

thanx

did as told ... saw where the copy had been made ... so, deleted

1st - when i "deleted" did so from my playlist where the song was...however, went to "puchases"

and brought the album up again and song was there..so, deleted it again ...

re-opened itunes and the entire album was displayed in my "recently added" for today ?

with the song there Twice ...neither one plays ,

same window authorize computer ...

followed the directions in the link sent for the " hide - unhide "

1. In the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, click Account, then click View My Account.
  2. On the page that appears, scroll to the iTunes in the Cloud section. Next to Hidden Purchases, click Manage.

however ...when i open my acct i do not have any of the " i tunes in cloud" hidden purchases ...etc ?!?

i have Not done any "updates" new versions to itunes when prompted for awhile

( 12.10.9.3 )

as they tell me they are for apple computers/products, so determined they are unnecessary for me

Apr 5, 2021 12:19 PM in response to rowdog44

Other things you could try:

• Delete the Downloads folder inside your iTunes Media folder
  • Press and hold down Shift+Ctrl as you launch iTunes to open it in its safe mode
  • Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Reset Cache
  • Temporarily disable any real-time AV scanner while trying to redownload the past purchase

I'm not sure if I understood correctly but did you say you have a working version of the track on your iPod? If so having deleted the entry in your library you could connect the device and use File > Devices > Transfer Purchases from <Device>.

And if nothing else works you can try Apple Support.

tt2

Apr 5, 2021 8:05 AM in response to turingtest2

thanx TT

so, as i have had your assistance previously , i will say again as i wouldn't expect you to recall... i'm no whiz at this stuff ...

checking my ipod, the one song i just happened to check for a cd the other day ...which brought about the " authorization" issue ...the song is on my ipod, on the computer it's a no go ...

so went back into purchases... initially, "store" had no info on the album but, finally got it ...

however, could not open the album icon there ...

went back to my library, opened it up, and tho i have seen the "clouds" you referred to, at other times ...

they are not there now ... i'm hesitant to delete anything i can't figure how to reload

Apr 5, 2021 11:48 AM in response to turingtest2

i have malwarebytes as a security ...tho have had for years ...certainly before i did the last itunes update

i'm windows 10

is it possible the newer version , might help this issue ? again, when i get notifications to tell me of a new version, i check to see what's there...when they say " apple product related " i figure it does not matter ...but will do so , if it could help ?

i also noticed , tho as mentioned it , the song i've referred to , downloaded to my ipod...where i actually listen to music ,,, i have 2 pods ( classic) ...the older one, it did not download to ..

odd as they were both synched at the same time

i'll download the new version as i check on any other possibilities

thanzx

Apr 5, 2021 12:47 PM in response to turingtest2

if not obvious ... some of what is suggested gets a bit overwhelming for this old guy ...

i'm sure yur used to dealing with those w / a better working knowledge ...appreciated all the same ....

to update now:

i did update itunes Still doesn't look any different and the " i tunes in the cloud " those views

are Nowhere, on my screens possibly an apple computer view ?

regardless

my "playlists" is where i typically go, to get music, to burn a CD , put on a flash, etc. i opened,

cliked on the song in question, as i was checking to see if i wanted to add it to the "burn" the other day...

that's when all the "authoriz" stuff began ...

i simply assumed, all albums are the same , regardless of where they sit in the library...

after deleting, as you told me before, i clik on "purchased" to see what, and when opened that,

the deleted song was still there ...twice in fact!

as we'd done the copy as told , and so, there it was, but still did not play ...

tried again after the update...same .... then ,

i clik on "artists" open the same album which again shows the song, twice, Both Play ?!?

so, tho it seems to be working now, i have no clue as to why

when i purchase an album, after it's download , i move it to the playlist;

Beatles , Sound Tracks, Blues, i want

then back it up on an ext drive, and download to the 2 ipod classics i use for playback ...

only listen on the computer if i'm checkin a song out to burn to a disc or put on a flash

that's it ! so it's possible this issue is sitting there on other downloads , is what i'd guess

it's almost 14K albums

i figured it was a simple setup, perhaps there's an better way ... but remember

i'm pretty simple too !!!

thanx

i tunes keeps asking me to authorize, my authorized computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.