You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will my old track pad work with my new iMac?

will my old track pad work with my new iMac because so far it is not recognizing it when i am trying to pair the two.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 12:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2021 1:11 PM

The AA-battery-powered Magic Trackpad should work.

I’ll presume you’ve tried new AA batteries?

Catalina doesn’t differentiate supported trackpads: macOS Catalina - Technical Specifications

Reboot and try again, and reset NVRAM and SMC and try again, too.

How-to:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2021 1:11 PM in response to scinteriors

The AA-battery-powered Magic Trackpad should work.

I’ll presume you’ve tried new AA batteries?

Catalina doesn’t differentiate supported trackpads: macOS Catalina - Technical Specifications

Reboot and try again, and reset NVRAM and SMC and try again, too.

How-to:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 3, 2021 7:38 PM in response to scinteriors

In theory it should work.

I was able to pair my 1st gen Magic Trackpad (purchased 2010) to a 2017 two USB-C port 13" Macbook Pro.

However, I was not able to pair to someone else's 2015 13" Macbook Pro (last model to have all the traditional ports; hdmi, USB etc...). Because it was someone else's Mac I did not try very hard to make it work, but since I was able to get it working on a 2017 model, I have hope it was just that I did not take enough time with the other guy's 2015 model.

will my old track pad work with my new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.