You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got a new MacBook Pro (13-inch 2020) and want use an old iMac 27-inch (late 2013) as an external display. I connected the two computers with a thunderbolt cable. I used the "display" option in the preference but cannot activate the second monitor

I got a new MacBook Pro (13-inch 2020) and want use an old iMac 27-inch (late 2013) as an external monitor. I connected the two computers with a thunderbolt cable (with the right USB-C adaptor to connect i macbook pro) but I could not make it. I remember in the past when I could use another 27-inch iMac to my imac 27-in by pressing "command F2". But there is no "F2" button on the macbook pro keyboard! Any idea?

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 5:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 6:06 PM

A 2013 iMac cannot do Target Display Mode with a 2020 Mac. Apple removed that capability in early 2020, finishing the total deprecation of TDM that they started in late 2014. This is from the now-archived support article:

Had you a 2009 or 2010 27-inch iMac, it might work by accident. The video-in hardware on those two was different from newer (Mid 2011 to mid 2014) iMacs and far more forgiving.

You still have the option of network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2021 6:06 PM in response to esamaras

A 2013 iMac cannot do Target Display Mode with a 2020 Mac. Apple removed that capability in early 2020, finishing the total deprecation of TDM that they started in late 2014. This is from the now-archived support article:

Had you a 2009 or 2010 27-inch iMac, it might work by accident. The video-in hardware on those two was different from newer (Mid 2011 to mid 2014) iMacs and far more forgiving.

You still have the option of network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

I got a new MacBook Pro (13-inch 2020) and want use an old iMac 27-inch (late 2013) as an external display. I connected the two computers with a thunderbolt cable. I used the "display" option in the preference but cannot activate the second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.