You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleMusic “forgets” location of downloaded music files

All of my media is stored on an external drive. Recently, Apple Music seems to be losing track of where some of my downloaded music files are located. I have run basic checks on the external hard drive, with no apparent errors. Any ideas/suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 4:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 4:59 AM

If you launch Music and the external drive isn't ready then the media folder will silently reset to Media in the folder that holds your Music Library.musiclibrary database. You cannot change this behaviour. If you host the the .musiclibrary database on the external drive then if the drive isn't ready you get an error instead. You can cancel, connect the drive, then launch, and the media folder setting should be preserved.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 11, 2021 4:59 AM in response to Robert Brockman

If you launch Music and the external drive isn't ready then the media folder will silently reset to Media in the folder that holds your Music Library.musiclibrary database. You cannot change this behaviour. If you host the the .musiclibrary database on the external drive then if the drive isn't ready you get an error instead. You can cancel, connect the drive, then launch, and the media folder setting should be preserved.

tt2

AppleMusic “forgets” location of downloaded music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.