You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing videos/photos from iphone 12 pro to Macbook Pro (2015) problems

When I import videos to the photos app on my mac from my iphone 12 pro, the preview of all videos show as inverted, all the black colors are bright white, like an effect, no subtle, some show as a solid grey color. Some photos import sideways or upsidedown, this is frustrating.

I have tried importing both formats from phone settings- automatic and keep original.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:39 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2021 10:21 AM in response to sagerebel

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Apr 14, 2021 9:32 AM in response to sagerebel

Hello, sagerebel. Thank you for posting your question to the Apple Support Communities. We’re happy to assist you with transferring photos from your iPhone to your Mac. 

From what we gather, when you import photos to your Mac, you are noticing the colors and orientation have been changed from the originals. We can certainly take a look to find out what could be causing this. 

To start, we’d like to be sure that you have the suggested steps to follow when importing photos to your Mac. Please read over the following Apple Support articles before attempting to import again: 

Overview of importing photos and videos into Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Import photos from a camera or phone using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to notice the same issue with your imported photos, can you tell us how things appear when you use iCloud to sync your photo library with your devices? If you do not already use iCloud Photos, the following article explains how you can get things set up: 

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

We look forward to your reply! 

Cheers! 

Apr 18, 2021 10:35 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, when I tried this just now, it still shows up as I have explained, an inverted preview, but when i click on it, it now says that photos can not play this video.

It gave the option to try playing video in quicktime but that didnt work either.

Note this problem only has applied to videos taken with the iphone camera, all screen recordings do not have this problem.

Here is a photo

Thanks

Apr 17, 2021 8:50 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you for responding, I read the links, I have been importing photos the same way for over 10 years with Iphone to Mac, this is the first time any of this has happened.

95% of the videos I have taken on Iphone 12 pro show the preview as inverted, and a few photos taken with selfie cam are sideways are upsidedown, then when I hover the mouse over these or click on them to view them, they are normal.

I tried this on a brand new new mac mini as well and the same problem happened, so I cant reset my phone to factory settings to see if it will fix the problem, I would lose all my photos... and my iphone 12 pro is fully updated, Thanks

Importing videos/photos from iphone 12 pro to Macbook Pro (2015) problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.