You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV+ audio clipping errors

I think I have a similar problem. My ATV 4K is cabled directly to my LG OLED tv. The TV is cabled to the Marantz NR1601 AVR's eARC input. All content works beautifully this way--Netflix, Apple store movies, music, etc.--except for Apple TV+ content. Greyhound, WW84, For All Mankind--all have the same problem: the audio does not come through at all, just a loud harsh 'clipping' interference sound. I have reset ATV, changed audio format on the Marantz AVR, nothing works.

Any help?

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 6:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 6:18 AM

Heh, well, I must sheepishly report I solved my own problem minutes after posting this! But I'll post the solution in hopes it may help someone else. I went into ATV audio settings and simply turned off the Dolby Atmos option. Voila! Now all my Apple TV+ content has proper audio output.

Again, my setup: ATV 4K, cable box, and dvd player all cabled directly to LG OLED tv via hdmi cables (no special cables, I think a couple of them are amazon basics cables). Then the tv is cabled to my Marantz NR1601 AVR's ARC hdmi input, and tv is set to output via ARC.

My Marantz AVR drives a 5.1 setup, no ATMOS capability, so turning that off is not a problem.

This is great! I was resigned to buying a new AVR, but now I don't have to!

(One minor mystery remaining is why having the ATV set to ATMOS "on when available" would cause problems with a system that does not have ATMOS, but whatever.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2021 6:18 AM in response to Lumberjack

Heh, well, I must sheepishly report I solved my own problem minutes after posting this! But I'll post the solution in hopes it may help someone else. I went into ATV audio settings and simply turned off the Dolby Atmos option. Voila! Now all my Apple TV+ content has proper audio output.

Again, my setup: ATV 4K, cable box, and dvd player all cabled directly to LG OLED tv via hdmi cables (no special cables, I think a couple of them are amazon basics cables). Then the tv is cabled to my Marantz NR1601 AVR's ARC hdmi input, and tv is set to output via ARC.

My Marantz AVR drives a 5.1 setup, no ATMOS capability, so turning that off is not a problem.

This is great! I was resigned to buying a new AVR, but now I don't have to!

(One minor mystery remaining is why having the ATV set to ATMOS "on when available" would cause problems with a system that does not have ATMOS, but whatever.)

Apple TV+ audio clipping errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.