You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted originals from Photo library, what now?

I've noticed that my 512 Gb MacBook Pro was low on space, even though I use it mostly for browsing and document editing. Turns out Photos has downloaded all of my pictures from iCloud. I unchecked the iCloud sync box but it didn't delete the pictures (which, at that moment, I thought it would do). I turned the sync back on and lo and behold, the size of the Photos library went from 100Gb to 200Gb. I turned the sync off again and deleted the contents of the 'originals' and 'derivatives' folders.

What will happen if I turn the sync back on again? Will it delete all the pictures from iCloud (since I have deleted them on my laptop) or will it repopulate the database with pictures from iCloud? I don't want to risk losing all of my photos, hence the question.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 5:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 1:25 PM

Playing around inside the library package is a dangerous thing to do and is not recommended. You have most likely corrupted these library now.

Since you have already deleted these folders I think the best thing you can do is to create a brand new library, set it to optimise and Photos will download a new set of photos from iCloud and it will never know what you did to the last library!

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Hold down the ALT key and double click Photos icon.
  2. Select Create New library
  3. When it opens, select preferences (CMD-COMMA)
  4. Click on 'Use as system library and on iCloud tab click Optimise Storage

A new copy of your photos will be downloaded. Since you have selected Optimise Storage only a thumbnail will be downloaded, so the total library will only be around 4GB.

Given you have deleted the originals folder and presumably do not have a Time Machine or other backup of the library package you can probably delete it once you are happy that the creation of the new library has been completed successfully.

HOWEVER, I strongly recommend you also make arrangements to create an additional library on a USB drive following the steps above, but this time instead of clicking optimise storage you select Download Originals. This will then create a full copy of all of your photos that you can maintain multiple backups of. iCloud Photos is great as a syncing service but IS NOT a backup service as no archive copies of your library are kept.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2021 1:25 PM in response to Kupava

Playing around inside the library package is a dangerous thing to do and is not recommended. You have most likely corrupted these library now.

Since you have already deleted these folders I think the best thing you can do is to create a brand new library, set it to optimise and Photos will download a new set of photos from iCloud and it will never know what you did to the last library!

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Hold down the ALT key and double click Photos icon.
  2. Select Create New library
  3. When it opens, select preferences (CMD-COMMA)
  4. Click on 'Use as system library and on iCloud tab click Optimise Storage

A new copy of your photos will be downloaded. Since you have selected Optimise Storage only a thumbnail will be downloaded, so the total library will only be around 4GB.

Given you have deleted the originals folder and presumably do not have a Time Machine or other backup of the library package you can probably delete it once you are happy that the creation of the new library has been completed successfully.

HOWEVER, I strongly recommend you also make arrangements to create an additional library on a USB drive following the steps above, but this time instead of clicking optimise storage you select Download Originals. This will then create a full copy of all of your photos that you can maintain multiple backups of. iCloud Photos is great as a syncing service but IS NOT a backup service as no archive copies of your library are kept.

Deleted originals from Photo library, what now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.