You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there external drives compatible with the old iMac OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite)?

My iMac stopped booting. Disk utility can’t repair the disk and it says back up as many of your files as possible, format the disk, and restore your back-up files. So I bought a Seagate Backup plus Slim but I realized it’s compatible with Mac OS 10.11 or higher.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 7:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 7:24 PM

Pretty much any drive will work, it just has to be formatted correctly. In the case of Yosemite as GUID HFS. See: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/20.0/mac/11.0 - Choose the appropriate system version to get the correct document

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 18, 2021 7:24 PM in response to miyuki276

Pretty much any drive will work, it just has to be formatted correctly. In the case of Yosemite as GUID HFS. See: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/20.0/mac/11.0 - Choose the appropriate system version to get the correct document

Apr 19, 2021 3:30 PM in response to miyuki276

Thank you the reply. I followed the instructions but it doesn’t the option of

“Click the Scheme pop-up menu, then choose GUID Partition Map.”

All the choices are Mac OS Extended (4 different types including Journaled without and with encryption), MS-DOS(FAT) and ExFAT. Does this mean I can’t reformat for the older version OS? Thank you.

Are there external drives compatible with the old iMac OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.