You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVI to Thunderbolt 3 cable

I have a monitor with a DVI port and want to connect it to the Thunderbolt 3 port on an M1 Mac Mini. Is this possible and what do I need to do it? On an Apple support page I see this:

If you're using a DVI cable with your display, use a third-party USB-C to DVI adapter or cable. Check with its manufacturer for compatibility with your Mac and display model.

It refers to DVI to USB-C, but not Thunderbolt 3. I understand USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are the same connector (physically), so perhaps this would work? If it would work, would the DVI to USB-C cable impede the Thunderbolt 3 port's performance?

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 6:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 7:58 PM

LiamRowan51 Said:

"DVI to Thunderbolt 3 cable: I have a monitor with a DVI port and want to connect it to the Thunderbolt 3 port on an M1 Mac Mini. Is this possible and what do I need to do it?[...]"

-------

Verify Compatibility.

As your quote reads: "Check with its manufacturer for compatibility with your Mac and display model". So, do a bit of research, by verifying its compatibility while viewing the adapter. Find the model of your screen, and view its compatibility with such an adapter. You'd find the screen's compatibility listed on the manufacture's site.

There's Lots to be Found on Amazon:

Use this search queue on Amazon: dvi thunderbolt 3 apple

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2021 7:58 PM in response to LiamRowan51

LiamRowan51 Said:

"DVI to Thunderbolt 3 cable: I have a monitor with a DVI port and want to connect it to the Thunderbolt 3 port on an M1 Mac Mini. Is this possible and what do I need to do it?[...]"

-------

Verify Compatibility.

As your quote reads: "Check with its manufacturer for compatibility with your Mac and display model". So, do a bit of research, by verifying its compatibility while viewing the adapter. Find the model of your screen, and view its compatibility with such an adapter. You'd find the screen's compatibility listed on the manufacture's site.

There's Lots to be Found on Amazon:

Use this search queue on Amazon: dvi thunderbolt 3 apple

Apr 19, 2021 7:31 PM in response to LiamRowan51

It's probably a matter of terminology. USC-C is a connector type which as you observe doubles for Thunderbolt 3.

I don't know what you mean by "impede". I would think if it is being used for video and the cable is designed for such then it will perform as it should perform, or do you have some kind of complex signal splitting thing going on?

DVI to Thunderbolt 3 cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.