You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I never migrated my aperture photos before upgrading to Catalina did I lose all my photos that were in aperture

If I never migrated my aperture library before upgrading to Catalina did I lose all my Photo that were on aperture?

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 9:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 9:27 AM

If you're using macOS Catalina

Starting with macOS Catalina, Aperture is no longer compatible with macOS. If you upgraded to macOS Catalina before migrating your library to Photos, follow these steps:

Install the latest macOS Catalina updates. Your Mac must be using macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later.

If you migrated your library to Photos after installing macOS Catalina 10.15 but before updating to macOS Catalina 10.15.1, complete these steps before continuing:

Select your Aperture library in the Finder. By default, it's named Aperture Library and is in the Pictures folder of your home folder. 

Choose File > Get Info. An Info window for your Aperture library opens.

In the Name & Extension section of the Info window, replace .migratedphotolibrary at the end of the file name with .aplibrary. Then close the window.

Open the Photos app, then choose your Aperture library when prompted, as pictured above. If you aren't prompted to choose a library, press and hold the Option key while opening Photos. If your Aperture library isn’t listed, click Other Library, then locate and choose your library.

When Photos shows the photos from your Aperture library, migration is complete.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209594

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Phonenightmare

If you're using macOS Catalina

Starting with macOS Catalina, Aperture is no longer compatible with macOS. If you upgraded to macOS Catalina before migrating your library to Photos, follow these steps:

Install the latest macOS Catalina updates. Your Mac must be using macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later.

If you migrated your library to Photos after installing macOS Catalina 10.15 but before updating to macOS Catalina 10.15.1, complete these steps before continuing:

Select your Aperture library in the Finder. By default, it's named Aperture Library and is in the Pictures folder of your home folder. 

Choose File > Get Info. An Info window for your Aperture library opens.

In the Name & Extension section of the Info window, replace .migratedphotolibrary at the end of the file name with .aplibrary. Then close the window.

Open the Photos app, then choose your Aperture library when prompted, as pictured above. If you aren't prompted to choose a library, press and hold the Option key while opening Photos. If your Aperture library isn’t listed, click Other Library, then locate and choose your library.

When Photos shows the photos from your Aperture library, migration is complete.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209594

If I never migrated my aperture photos before upgrading to Catalina did I lose all my photos that were in aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.