You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family purchase share, but without payment method.

Hi, I want to share my apps with my family, but I don’t want to share my payment method what can I do?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 10:18 AM

If the family members are all adults like is the case in my family, you do not get a message when they buy something. The way that you know they bought something is that you, as the organizer, get a receipt for the purchase via email. Even if they make the purchase with their own balance from gift cards, you get the receipt.

If you have children under 13 in the family, you can turn on ask to buy, where you have to approve all of their purchases. Take a look at this.

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2021 10:18 AM in response to MagicRichard

If the family members are all adults like is the case in my family, you do not get a message when they buy something. The way that you know they bought something is that you, as the organizer, get a receipt for the purchase via email. Even if they make the purchase with their own balance from gift cards, you get the receipt.

If you have children under 13 in the family, you can turn on ask to buy, where you have to approve all of their purchases. Take a look at this.

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2021 10:02 AM in response to MagicRichard

If you are the family organizer, you must enter a payment method using a valid credit or debit card in order to set up and invite others to join the family. However, you don’t have to pay for purchases as along as all of the other family member redeem Apple Gift cards and pay for their own purchases that way. We have been using family sharing for three years and my wife and daughter redeem gift cards so my debit card is never charged.

However, as the organizer, I must pay for shared iCloud storage and any subscriptions that I invoke such as Apple TV+, Apple Music etc. but I can also pay for those purchase with gift cards and never have to use my debit card.

Family purchase share, but without payment method.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.