You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The index.xml file is missing.

How do I fix this error: The index.xml file is missing.????

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 3:00 PM

As far as I know this only happens when trying to open a "newer" Numbers document using Numbers '09. It was a prevalent problem a decade ago when a lot of people had Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 on the same machine. Now there are not many people who have Numbers '09.

Start up Numbers then drag a file and drop it on the Numbers icon on the dock. Does it open?

You may have to "get info" on a file and set the default app back to the newer version of Numbers. And choose to apply it to all.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2021 3:00 PM in response to AliceDG

As far as I know this only happens when trying to open a "newer" Numbers document using Numbers '09. It was a prevalent problem a decade ago when a lot of people had Numbers '09 and Numbers 3 on the same machine. Now there are not many people who have Numbers '09.

Start up Numbers then drag a file and drop it on the Numbers icon on the dock. Does it open?

You may have to "get info" on a file and set the default app back to the newer version of Numbers. And choose to apply it to all.

The index.xml file is missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.