You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing between 2 Macs with the same Apple ID

Hello,

I have an iMac and MacBook, both running latest MacOS. I wanted to download some files from iMac to MacBook.

Both Macs are mine so both are signed to the same Apple ID. However, when I try to connect to iMac from MacBook, I have a problem. I can see iMac on the left side manu in Finder:

• I click on that
  • click on Connect as
  • there I tried connect as user or connect with apple id (both successfully connected
  • when I navigate to Download folder, it shows empty folder - no files even there are many

When I tried to create new folder there, it said that I don't have rights to do that. I checked other folders and sometimes I can see some files, sometimes I can't.

I tried to set up File sharing in Settings for the download folder, but it didn't help ether.

Any idea? I thought that if I connect between them with the same Apple ID, I would see everything.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 11:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 11:31 PM

Hi jakudo,

See if this article helps: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support. Files to appear on both must either be in Desktop or Documents.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 25, 2021 11:36 PM in response to Jack-19

Well, I have iCloud drive (2TB in Family Sharing), but some folders (such as Downloads) I don't want to be sync across the devices via iCloud drive.

For example I downloaded footage from my security cameras when we were doing some construction and wanted to create a movie from that. It has about 50 GB, so I don't need to upload/download it to/from iCloud Drive.

First I wanted to do the iMovie clip on iMac but when I bought Macbook with M1 chip, I wanted to try it on the MacBook. However, I have a problem to copy the files from iMac to MacBook. I did it via NAS I have at home. However, I was curious, why that files network sharing doesn't work as expected.

File sharing between 2 Macs with the same Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.