You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will getting a new battery erase my computer data?

I was wondering if I would need to back up my computer before getting a new battery. If so how do I do that? I also wanted to know if there is a way I can check the availability of batteries at a location before making an appointment so My computer does not have to stay overnight.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 6:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 7:09 AM

You shouldn't lose any data but you should definitely back it up before getting it repaired.

How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

3 replies

Apr 28, 2021 7:09 AM in response to alyg23

Always backup your data. During normal use, and if you need to do anything extraordinary.

Apple have that Time Machine function for backing up, which is nice.

Personally I prefer to make a backup on an external hard drive (usually connected by USB port) by just dragging and dropping the entire data/documents/photos/etc content of my drive onto the external drive. You can also choose to copy any settings files or other material that may be useful if you should need to reinstall anything at some point.

You should do this routinely anyway to be safe.

There are cloud-based services that offer backup.

Generally though, changing a battery should not affect your files/data or installed software or system. These reside on the hard drive and it does not need power to retain that material.

Don't know about Apple store location inventory, just phone them I guess.

Will getting a new battery erase my computer data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.