You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchassed MS word Do I have to pay for this it again?

I have already bought a version of Micro soft can you just upgrade?

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 8:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 8:39 AM

Slight correction: you purchased nothing here, you acquired a license from Microsoft to use Microsoft Office on a range of macOS versions.

You have subsequently decided to not use one of the supported macOS versions available with your Office license.

You can choose to revert to the macOS versions where you do still have an Office license, and continue to operate with Office there.

Or you can upgrade macOS, and purchase a new license, and use a newer and now licensed version of Office.

Or you can purchase a subscription license known as Office 365, and that license allows you to upgrade both Office and macOS if and as those become available.

The one wrinkle here is Microsoft is about to ship Office 2021, which means a purchase of Office 2019 will get patches for a while, but not as long as any of us might prefer.

Or you can use LibreOffice, which is free, and which is quite compatible with most Office documents. This as suggested above.

Or you can migrate to Apple iWork, which is free, and which can read and write many Office documents. But not all.

Approximately no software vendor can afford to sell forever app support and forever app upgrades at a price that any of us would be willing to pay. Any of us outside of the occasional billionaires, that is. And if you’re still running Office 2011, you’re probably not a billionaire.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 28, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Angelo3322

Slight correction: you purchased nothing here, you acquired a license from Microsoft to use Microsoft Office on a range of macOS versions.

You have subsequently decided to not use one of the supported macOS versions available with your Office license.

You can choose to revert to the macOS versions where you do still have an Office license, and continue to operate with Office there.

Or you can upgrade macOS, and purchase a new license, and use a newer and now licensed version of Office.

Or you can purchase a subscription license known as Office 365, and that license allows you to upgrade both Office and macOS if and as those become available.

The one wrinkle here is Microsoft is about to ship Office 2021, which means a purchase of Office 2019 will get patches for a while, but not as long as any of us might prefer.

Or you can use LibreOffice, which is free, and which is quite compatible with most Office documents. This as suggested above.

Or you can migrate to Apple iWork, which is free, and which can read and write many Office documents. But not all.

Approximately no software vendor can afford to sell forever app support and forever app upgrades at a price that any of us would be willing to pay. Any of us outside of the occasional billionaires, that is. And if you’re still running Office 2011, you’re probably not a billionaire.

I purchassed MS word Do I have to pay for this it again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.