You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Obsolete email linked to iphone

I have an obsolete email address linked to my Apple ID. My iPhone keeps asking me to enter the password for this email account but I can’t because the email account was deleted from the server by the provider years ago and no longer exists. The email address isn’t in my email accounts so how do I find it in order to delete it?

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 12:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 6:21 PM

You are welcome. Check the App Store and iTunes Store to see if there are any updates for apps/purchases. A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.   

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2021 6:21 PM in response to Topnurse67

You are welcome. Check the App Store and iTunes Store to see if there are any updates for apps/purchases. A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.   

Apr 29, 2021 12:18 PM in response to Topnurse67

Do you remember what the email address is?

See if you can recover the ID/password. Use every email address you can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple    An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID.

Apple ID - Find              

If you forgot the Apple ID password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification  email option if necessary.

Apple ID - Manage            

Apple ID – Forgot Password            

May 1, 2021 9:54 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you so much for your all your suggestions. It appears that it’s linked into my iTunes, according to my iPhone. So a I’ve deleted the music from the app, deleted the app from my iPhone, backed up to iCloud, then put the app back on and the message is still coming on. If I enter the password for the obsolete email address it doesn’t recognise it as the email account no longer exists due to my landline telephone network deleting it from their main server without my consent/knowledge. I’ve been trying to solve this issue since 2017 and think I’m going to finally admit defeat! Thanks for trying to help it’s much appreciated.

Obsolete email linked to iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.